Monday, January 16, 2012

Lately I have had several people give me unsolisited advice about life, in particular...marriage. A woman, whom was ill in the hospital, gave me some very wise advice...A marriage isn't easy and it requires work. You can't work AT a marriage to make it better. If you have found someone you love, you work THROUGH your lives together as a team.

How true is that, really? When you sit and think about it, very true. You can't concentrate on trying to make the typical picture-perfect marriage, but instead live your lives together. Always count on each other and be there for one another, and that will create your own picture-perfect marriage.

Another peice of advice was given to me from another woman inwhich her husband was ill. It took a life-threatening event to make her reevaluate her marriage and what path her relationship was heading. She recalled constantly nagging at him, complaining, yelling, getting upset...all for stupid petty reasons, and now regrets it. She took him for granted, and never appreciated any sacrifices he had made for her and their family.

This new year instead of making personal resloutions, make one about appreciating your marriage. My grandparents were married for 40 long, wonderful years. I'm sure they had their ups and downs, but they made it through...together. I want my own marriage to last the next 40 years...and it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment