Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Internet is full of parenting websites and forums with advice, but your own childhood has the most influence on your own parenting skills. The good, the bad, and the ugly of how the people you looked up to gives you guidelines of what to do or not do. I personally strive to be a great parent and set a great role model for our kids when they become parents one day.

Up until I reached high school, I thought my mother walked on water. I just knew that we would always be close...but I was wrong. The fights, battles, negativity, put-downs...put a damper on our relationship. We have an okay relationship now, but it could be better! No matter how old I am, I will always remember things from the hateful words said, never showing up to my softball practices or girl scout meetings, pushing me away...and worst of all, not saying that she loves me nearly enough. She apologizes for the past, and tries to make up for it now..but I don't want to be like that with my kids. Regretting how I raised my kids, when I can do what is right, right now.

My husband and I are a mastering being there for our kids whenever we are able. One or both of us (usually both) go to every practice, game, girl scout meeting, parent-teacher conference, parent volunteer days, etc. Our kids remember and love the fact that we are always there. They appreciate the time we spend with them, the games we play, places we go, and affection we give them.

One day today will only be a memory in their minds to be remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment