Friday, December 2, 2011

To be or not to be...a Stay-at-Home Mom

To be a 'Stay-at-Home mom' after your baby is born, is a big decision that you and your partner should discuss in advance.  Being a SAHM may sound amazing, but it also has it's downsides to consider. I stayed at home for a while after my 18 month old son was born...and I LOVED it!  I felt like I was so busy taking care of kids, driving to and from school, keeping the house clean, cooking all the meals, etc kept me so busy that I wouldn't be able to sleep if I went back to work!  Well...now here I am.  Back to working full time AND all the other stuff.  My husband does help out with the housework and such, but I tell him that I would love it if I could have continued staying at home with the kids...is that bad? 
The main pro for staying at home that convinced us for me to stay at home was that I would be watching our kids and not a stranger.  We didn't want to do daycare, and family isn't a reality for 5 kids to babysit.  It makes a lot more sense for me to stay home than pay someone to watch all our kids.  Plus I really got a great chance to bond with not only our baby, but all the kids.
Having one income instead of two is hard (possible but hard). Budgeting is a must-do.  I try my hardest not to waste anything, including paper towels and food!  We might eat the same thing for dinner, then lunch AND dinner the next day...only if I made too much of something!  For my Little ones to eat a snack like gold fish on, I will rip a big paper towel in half.  Drives my husband crazy, but every penny counts!  Also, I cut coupons.  Highly recommend watching TLC's Extreme Couponing...it will make you want to cut coupons and save as much as you can!
A Pro AND Con is that your kids are ALWAYS with you.  It's great for bond and spending time together, but can be hard to get some 'adult time.' Even 4.5 seconds to go to the bathroom.  The bathroom in my bedroom is small, so when my little starts pounding on the door, I put something thin like a comb under the door.  He laughs and puts it back under.  Passing it back and forth will keep him occupied for at least a few minutes!
Many stay-at-home moms develop a loss of identity feeling.  You are no longer that party girl going out with your friends, or that workaholic, or student.  You are a Mommy and that's it.  Instead of fearing that you are loosing your own life, push yourself to be the best mother.  Do things with your children, do extra little things for your partner, research parenting tips, and just keep bonding with your children! 
What we do now with our children is only temporary, but will last a lifetime. 
What ways do you stay sane as a stay-at-home mom?

No comments:

Post a Comment